And so it seems that a country has finally woken. Despite the hideous time difference, Mel and I closely followed the unfolding of proverbial "history" during the night. At 6am Paris time, Barack Obama gave his victory speech. A black President of the United States. Few moments in life make you stop and think of the gravity of an event in the context of history. Kevin Rudd's apology to Indigenous Australians was one. This is another. Both moments gave us a rare moment of pride in humanity.
It is worth contemplating the gravity. It is tempting to say, well of course, this was the right decision. He was the better candidate, he offered the best policies. But, given history, it is worthy of marvel. Blacks were slaves in the United States without freedom or rights until 1865. It wasn't until about 40 years ago that blacks were allowed to vote. Today, a black man rules that country and, as we heard many times on television last night, apparently he rules the world. To me, it is worthy of marvel. It is worthy of marvel that an unprecedented number of people voted to install Barack Obama. It is worthy of marvel that the disenchanted youth were made to dream and hope again. Well done USA.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Prash..I am proud to be American, and excited about the many opportunites for my homeland. Thrilled that so many people around the world are equally energised by America's choice. It is an affirmation of the American dream - anyone can achieve his/her dream, by hard work and determination.
I just wanted to correct your misstatement that blacks only gained the right to vote 40 years ago. I've heard it from several people over the last 3 days, and it's simply false. Blacks got the right to vote in 1872 (14th or 15th Amendment to the Constitution passed at the end of the Civil War). Women didn't have the right to vote until 1920 (19th Amendment), and native Americans received it in 1924 (when they were finally acknowledged as full citizens).
The first 2 blacks were elected to Congress in 1872 (1 in the House of Representative and 1 to the US Senate).
I suspect you're thinking about the 1964 the Voting Rights Act, passed by Congress to prohibit states from disenfranchising blacks (and poor whites and Native Americans) by imposing "poll taxes" which required a person to pay a tax, pass a literacy test and/or own property before being registered to vote. The literate middle class black MEN could, and historically have, voted since 1872, and have held numerous state and local offices (some but not as many federal offices).
This takes nothing away from the historic importance of this election. Racism remains a problem in the US. Obama's presidency will be a huge step forward to heal centuries old wounds.
I'm a huge Obama fan, for reasons too numerous to detail here, not the least of which is that Obama was a Constitutional Law Professor at the University of Chicago (a top-tier school), and embraces (and I hope will return) the constitutional freedoms guaranteed in the Bill of Rights to the American people that have been eroded since 9/11.
Cheers! Edei
Who knew youse had a blog!?
Hello Prash, I've not met you, but I know Mel.
It was an extraordinary day (it all unfolded during the daylight hours in Aus) and very emotional for many of us who've been watching the campaign like hawks. I find it hard to believe that the world now has not only an african american President of the USA, but a man of intellect and compassion to replace the disaster of the last eight years.
A great thing.
Post a Comment