Monday, June 23, 2008

Champagne wedding

Mel's friends Marie and Arnaud got married on the weekend in a small town called Merfy in the Champagne region. It is a gorgeous little provincial village about 10 minutes drive from the major town Reims (pronounced "rhaince") which might be familiar because it is the official home to 'Champagne'. Here's a little map for those visually inclined. So we hired a little car on Saturday morning and set out on the wrong side of the road, which is in fact the right side of the road. We stayed at the very prestigious "Mister Bed" of which the less said the better. The wedding was at this gorgeous little church with its own choir. Here are some photos of the ceremony including some cute little kids which are a must at all weddings.

Marie and Arnaud left the wedding in style in these cool old cars - as did their parents!


After the wedding we went for champagne (of course) and hors d'oeuvres, and met some lovely friends and relatives of the bride and groom. I got a good work out on my French and Mel dazzled the crowds with her fluency.Now we all know that the French like to eat well but we were still quite astonished to find that there were not three, not four, not five courses on the menu but SEVEN courses for dinner. Perhaps the nine pieces of cutlery should have been a hint? When we originally saw the menu, we thought it must be the standard either/or selection. But no, it was everything! Apart from one or two of the courses, I think I have photos of all of them! Luckily for me (during my month of vegetarianism), only one course involved beef. Otherwise, there was lots of salmon, prawns and tuna . Mel managed also to eat well and the kitchen did a great job of varying the dishes at the last minute to cater for Mel (usually involving removing the piece of meat from the said dish).Mel's meal = my meal minus the fish!After the meal which finished close to midnight, everyone got up for a boogey to some good old English songs of the 80s and what I can only imagine are the equivalent in French. There is this dance called the Madison which to me is a very sophisticated version of the nutbush - see for yourselves (sorry the video is a bit dark but I think it gives you an idea)! I was very surprised that everyone seemed to know it - apparently it has had a bit of a revival?

Finally, we showered the bride and groom with streamers until they could no longer see.

We left the wedding at about 230am only to get lost on the way back. We only took 45 minutes to do what should have taken 15 minutes but we made it. The next day, in case we hadn't had enough the night before, the couple's friends got together again for a light lunch.

After that - it was off to Pommery champagne house for some champagne tasting. Pommery is apparently the second biggest champagne house after Moet et Chandon. We took a tour of the caves in which the champagne is kept - apparently 30 metres underground, these caves offer a natural cellar where the temperature is 10 degrees all year round. We also just happened to chance upon a modern art exhibition at the champagne house - some bizarre art works to be sure.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I note that your post was posted at 5.37 AM - I hope thats is AEST otherwise I wonder what paris has done to you to stay up so late!

We are spending next week in NZ - the paris of the southern hemisphere - Mow "mash" stop being jealous, not everyone is as lucky as we are, someone has to stay behind in paris and keep the streets clean :0)

Mike said...

Nice post! Great photos guys, it looks like it was a sensational weekend in champers country (or as we call it, "Sparkling White Wine". The Aussie version sounds so much more romantic...)

Important points:
a) You're vegetarian for the month, Prash? HOORAY!!! Pray tell - what's the reasoning? In Paris of all places, that it serious commitment, I'm very proud.

b) How good is the nutbush at a wedding? Second only to the limbo. Thankfully we had both. I'm glad the French have got on board with that.

c) I need to eat something after seeing those photos. I'm drooling. Those French know how to do food.