Thursday, July 3, 2008

The 'not so' happening, Narnia and Vegetarian friends

So on Tuesday I went to see a couple of movies - Chronicles of Narnia 2: Prince Caspian and The Happening. Neither were particularly good. Neither are really worth mentioning, especially the second one, but to ensure that no one is tempted to spend their money on a stupid film I'm going to give away the premise: there is a deadly toxin in the air which causes people to freeze and then commit suicide using some creative means (could have been more creative). The toxin appears to be spreading through plants and trees (here is the pathetic attempt at some social commentary on how nature is taking its revenge for our centuries of abuse). The only funny part of this film is at the very end - the disease originally hits New York but in the end it also hits Paris. All the Parisiens in the theatre had a jolly good laugh at that.

Yesterday, I had my first family member come visit us which was great. My uncle was here for some meetings so we got to spend a night with him - we went to what is now our favourite restaurant: Tien Hiang. Vegetarian Vietnamese with fake duck, fake beef, fake pork, fake chicken - fake everything!! Mel was in some kind of heaven, as was I after discovering that trying to be vegetarian in Paris is like trying to make ice in hell. It was cute, close by and really cheap! And there's 108 dishes to choose from so we're not running out of choices any time soon.

In trying to find information about this restaurant, I happened upon this group of English speaking vegetarians in Paris who meet up at different restaurants - The Spicy Vegetarian Club - how cool is this! I think I earn some massive brownie points for: (a) finding other vegetarians (b) who are english speakers (c) and who like eating out and meeting up. I discovered that there's even a group for vegan runners (Mikey??).

Since this is my week off, I had great ambitions of actually putting up our blog entry on our trip to Canada. We had so much fun that its hard to know where to start!

PS - a friend sent us this fun little 'English' test which you might find interesting. I object to one of the answers ... it has clearly got the wrong focus. A number of my learned friends (who speak and write English much gooder than me) agree.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Ok I'm DEFINITELY visiting Paris now. I want to eat at that fake "every kind of meat" restaurant and also hang with the Spicy Vegetarian Club. Especially this lady :
"I'm an American international tax lawyer (New York, Texas and Hawaii), nutrition and health buff, Master Herbalist, a balllroom dancer investor, and a vegan."